Monday, January 9, 2012

Whistling at Whistler...



This week I went to Whistler. Ha. I love that I can just go to Whistler.
Oh it's so pretty there!
I stayed at the HI Hostel which was accommodation for the athletes at the 2010 Winter Olympics. It was probably the nicest hostel I've ever stayed at. And my roomie actually happened to be a Senior School teacher from a Christian School in Sydney. Small world hey! It was great to have someone to hang with on the ski slopes.

The town was so pretty, especially at night! So many pretty lights! It looks a bit like the North Pole! There was even an outdoor ice-skating rink! Oh so fun! If only skating was something I was good at! With the granny frames we were pretty amazing though! haha.

Skiing. I skiied for 3 days, and it took me 3 days to actually remember how to ski. I could not co-ordinate my legs! So it made for some interesting runs. On day two I skiied all the way down from the top of the Whistler gondola... on the green runs of course. It was a looooong way! And there were parts where I couldn't see 10m in front of me because of the clouds, but it was absolutely  gorgeous, the whole 2 hours of it! (oh I forgot to flip the picture... just pretend ok)


Highlights from Whistler include (sorry, I'm in a list mood):
- SNOW! Of course! I've come to the conclusion that snow makes everything pretty - fire hydrants, stop signs, yep! prettier!

- Also the fact that it snows in places that are not just the mountain that you ski on... when we walked out of our hostel to catch the bus it was snowing massive flakes of snow! Ahh so magical! Annnnd! When we were ice skating, it was also snowing! Oh with the lights of Whistler in the background, it was like a scene from a romantic movie (except that I was skating with a granny frame...and there was no actual romance...oh funny).

- Beavertails - this is a delicious food. Don't panic, it's not actually a beaver's tail... it's more like a giant flat doughnut, covered in some sort of topping - I had maple syrup butter with a drizzle of chocolate. mmm.


- That I only had one proper stack! (the other 3 aren't worth writing about... especially since one of them I was just walking) The proper 'Kaye-stack' occurred at the bottom of the two hour mountain. Like within metres of the flat where you take your skis off. I think I was just a bit over zealous in my "ha! I made it the whole way down!" and somehow got caught in the powder and landed face first sprawled all over the place. oh dear! haha

- Making new friends! It was fun to have my hostel buddy to hang with on the mountain! and then on the bus back to Vancouver I met Amy Adams' (the girl off the movie Enchanted) identical twin... well not really, but she did look a lot like her & likes cheese (and I also like cheese). Actually I don't know if I like Canadian cheese. I'm still a bit nervous about the orangeness of it. I think I will need to like it, because I think my need for cheese will overpower my fear of orange soon.

- That the whole of Whistler looks like Narnia

- The Peak to Peak Gondola! Oh it's so high, and the trees look like snowflake shapes from above. There is even 2 gondolas that have a transparent bottom so you can look straight down. The fun bit was that the snow got in the window at the top so it was snowing inside the gondola!

- Oh yeh, 'Cows' the ice-creamery. It was a cute shop! They had cow everythings! And also yummy ice cream

- The good deals you get when you stay at hostels, including cheap ski hire! (but not cheap lift tickets, unless I stayed a few more nights)

hmm maybe that's all I can think of.

The only thing I didn't like about Whistler is the thing I don't like about Canada - the sneaky tax that they put on everything (except ice skates). For instance:
"Can I please have $10 of phone credit?"
"Sure, that will be $11.20" pfft!
I am getting better at my 12 times tables though!

Anyway, I need to get some laundry done and my bag packed, off to Edmonton tomorrow! woohoo! There's even an ice festival later this week! I can't wait!





1 comment:

  1. Viv said... asked and answered so Disneyland really is the happiest place on earth. That was a bad idea Kaye i just spent the last 45mins catching up on your blog, when i am supposed to be working. I will have to check in more regularly at my morning tea break or something. I am sooo jealous here you are having amazing adventures while i'm stuck in my office. The pics are great, you look like you are having heaps of fun. Can't wait for the next installment. See ya, love ya work!! xxx

    ReplyDelete